


Three things to do now.
01. Keep every document
Save contracts, receipts, messages, photographs, and anything you received from the chapel.
02. Write the timeline
Note when the chapel received your loved one, what was promised, and when concerns began.
03. Ask about your options
A lawyer can help evaluate next steps while the official investigation continues.



Get In Touch
Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Attorney:
Karen Enright
Phone:
(312) 541-9700
E-mail:
kenright@murphyenrightlaw.com
IN THE NEWS:
South Chicago Chapel Investigation
The facts are known.
The Cook County Medical Examiner began identifying the deceased and notifying families. A lawsuit seeking class-action status has been filed while the investigation continues.

Fox News
More than 50 bodies found decomposing inside Chicago funeral home after neighbors complained of 'stench'
Chicago authorities are investigating a South Side funeral home after more than 50 bodies were discovered improperly stored and in various states of decomposition Thursday.
The discovery came months after nearby residents began complaining about a "stench" coming from the funeral home.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said state and local officials alerted it to improperly stored bodies at South Chicago Chapel. Investigators and forensic pathologists who responded found remains in various states of decomposition.

ABC7 Chicago
Lawsuit filed against South Chicago funeral home accused of mishandling remains as more bodies ID'd
More families have been notified that their loved ones' remains were among those found improperly stored last week at a funeral home on Chicago's Southeast Side, while many others continue to wait for answers.
Meanwhile, the first lawsuit has been filed against South Chicago Chapel.
The medical examiner has identified 19 of the 56 bodies discovered at the funeral home. Officials said 16 families have been notified, and the remains of three decedents have been released to funeral homes.

CBS News Chicago
33 bodies found in shuttered funeral home ID'd, some names released; legal aid offered to families
The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said 33 of the 56 bodies taken from a shuttered Far South Side funeral home have been identified, while a group of attorneys will offer legal advice to affected families.
The medical examiner's office said Friday afternoon that of the 33 identified bodies taken out of South Chicago Chapel at 95th and Exchange last week, 25 families have been notified. Officials released their names Friday afternoon, excluding those whose next of kin have not yet been notified. You can find the list of names at the bottom of this article.

In the News: Heights Crematory Investigation
The facts are known.
The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation launched an investigation, and the facility was ordered to stop accepting remains immediately.
GET IN TOUCH
MORE INFO
HOURS
Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 5pm
Disclaimer:
Viewing this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results do not guarantee future outcomes. Legal services available only in Illinois unless otherwise permitted.
Accessibility Statement:
This private law firm website is covered under ADA Title III, not government accessibility standards. If you encounter an accessibility issue or need assistance, contact info@murphyenrightlaw.com or (312) 541-9700.
Site Design by SYNHERGY.
© 2026 Murphy Enright Gilbreth & Bizzieri Ltd.

